Staging Your Home
Houses in good shape command higher prices and sell more quickly than houses needing work. Target the right areas and any money spent should be a wise investment.Remember, your home is competing with other houses on the market and all new houses under construction. Here is a list of inexpensive, important items you can do to help spruce up your home for a quicker sale.
At the top of the list - get rid of clutter. Put items in temporary storage:
- Box up any items that you won't need before the house sells;
- Remove personal items such as children's handmade crafts, family pictures, knick-knacks and collections which may be distracting;
- Clean out closets to make them look roomier;
- Remove unnecessary or large pieces of furniture so rooms are not crowded and look larger;
- Clean attic and garage to display the full value of storage space.
As buyers approach your property for the first time, impressions are formed quickly:
- Driveway and walkways - paint and/or pressure clean;
- Paint house, front door, fences and/or mailbox - This can do more for sales appeal than any other factor;
- Yard - Mow, edge, trim hedges, weed beds, add annuals to front beds, remove all toys, garbage, garden tools and other items from view;
- Close garage doors
- Repair screens.
Often, while waiting to be let in, the first thing a buyer looks at closely is the front door, roof, and surrounding area:
- Buy a new door mat;
- Ensure there is plenty of lighting.
- Keep roof and gutters free of leaves and debris;
- Sweep entryways to keep clean and free of cobwebs.
The kitchen is often the most important room in the house. Make it bright and attractive.
- Make kitchen sparkle - clean appliances with trisodium phosphate;
- Clean windows and window coverings;
- Remove small appliances from counters;
- Clean inside of oven;
- Replace leaky or stained faucets;
- Replace cracked or yellowed plastic ceiling panels;
- Create a pleasant fragrance in the kitchen and throughout the home with candles or "cut and bake" cookies.
It is important that bathrooms are clean, bright and smell fresh:
- Install a new shower curtain and replace worn throw rugs;
- Repair chips in tubs and sinks;
- Polish all fixtures;
- Hang bright, fresh towels and display colorful soaps. Think like a Buyer! Keep the house cool, open all the window treatments, turn on all the lights and leave. Remember..."Love me, love my dog" does not apply in home selling and don't forget to keep the litter box clean and fresh!